Thomas A Becket Junior School is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. This commitment is guided by clear whole school policy and practice, which applies to all staff and volunteers working within or on behalf of the school. We recognise that all working within our school environment have a full and active part to play in protecting our pupils.
In order to fulfil this commitment we:
- Establish and maintain an environment in which children feel safe, secure, valued andrespected, and are confident to talk openly and that they will be listened to
- Provide suitable support and guidance so that children have a range of appropriateadults who they feel confident to approach if they have worries or difficulties
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers have been appropriately checked, with regard totheir suitability to work with children using safer recruitment procedures
- Implement and review procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspectedcases, of abuse
- Support children, where concerns have been identified, in accordance with an agreedchild protection plan or alternative professional multi-agency plan
- Provide learning opportunities, including within the PSHE curriculum, for children todevelop increasing self- awareness, self-esteem, assertiveness and decision making sothat they have a range of skills, strategies and contacts to ensure their ownprotection and understand the importance of protecting others
We recognise because of their day-to-day contact with children, school staff are ideally placed to observe and report the outward signs of abuse.
All staff receive appropriate child protection training which is updated regularly. Within school we have an appropriately trained designated member of staff for child protection, referred to as Child Protection Liaison Officer (CPLO), who takes the lead on all child protection matters. We also have a deputy CPLO to provide cover in case of absence. Staff refer any concerns to the designated member of staff.
Our designated child protection members of staff are as follows:
||Child Protection Liaison Officer:
||Sandie Saunders (Assistant Headteacher)
||Deputy Child Protection Liaison Officers:
||John Gadd (Headteacher) Zoe Borley (Assistant Headteacher)
We follow the guidance set out in West Sussex Inter-Agency procedures and take full account of any changes in local or national guidance.
A copy of our Child Protection Policy is available on the school website and also available for viewing in reception.